People Buried at Davis
Davis Cemetery History
Davis Cemetery was the first “burying Ground in East
Walker County and is located on the Davis property behind
where the Old White Church (Dora Second Baptist) now stands.
According to tradition Daniel Davis gave the land for the
cemetery, built a little "chapel" there, and planted
ten cedar trees to "guard" it. This cemetery is
the oldest known cemetery in the area— gravestones date
back to the earliest settlers.
In 1888 "Aunt Louisa" (Louisa Hoover, wife of Daniel
Davis) conceived the idea of building a church for the miners
who had come into the area after the railroads were
built in 1886. Aunt Louisa gave the land and built the church
with her own money, and the church became known as the "White
Church" because of the color it was painted. The church
was never to be sold or to be owned by any one denomination.
When a congregation left it, it was supposed to be left for
another's use. (This church still stands today; Methodists,
Nazarines, and Baptists have worshipped there.) This church
was originally a two-story building with the Masonic Lodge
on the second
When the "White Church" was built in 1888, the members
of Shady Grove Methodist Church were invited to move there.
Tradition has it that every member moved except Martha Davis
Posten (wife of Burwell B. Posten, daughter of Daniel Davis).
She stayed because there was a, petition to the effect that
there should be no licensed saloons within five miles of the
Shady Grove Church. Singlehandedly she. kept the church in
existence, to keep town from having a saloon.
NOTE: The above information was copied from the Dora Centinnial
here for Davis Family History
Davis Cemetery is on the historical
register for Alabama. To see a list of people who were buried
in the cemetery from the beginning until 1994,
click here. The other names will be added soon.